I treated myself to a new massage experience at Mabuhay Chiropractic Clinics, located in Las Pinas / Alabang, offering an advanced “stress massage” in their SM Southmall clinic, to help people reduce their stress and to introduce the connection between spine and nerves, between posture and general health.
It only took 30 minutes for the therapist to focus on massaging the back and neck, apparently stimulating nerves at their spinal root; then focusing on the hands and feet, the next nerve rich areas of the body. This approach floods the brain with nerve activity to release brain hormones known to reduce /counter the effects of adrenalin, the stress hormone, in the body.
The clinic also offers this stress massage to serve as a front line spinal screening of potentially more harmful spinal misalignments that are frequently associated with areas of the body where massages continue to find repeated muscle spasms or tightness that result from the underlying spinal misalignments.
Combining Stress Massage with a home Deep Breathing Technique discussed in a separate blog, a person can be much more successful at managing their frequently experienced stress.
The following is a list of the therapeutic benefits of massage:
- Massage relaxes muscle spasms and relieves tension.
- Massage acts as a “mechanical cleanser” pushing along lymph and hastening the elimination of wastes and toxic debris.
- In one 2010 study, researchers found massage increased a person’s disease-fighting white blood cells. The stress-reducing powers of massage can also help keep you healthy with better functioning of the immune system.
- Massage may have a sedative, stimulating or even exhausting effect on the nervous system depending on the type and length given.
- Massage reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol, resulting in lifted spirits and often lower blood pressure. It can also boost the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine, which are involved in depression.
- Massage improves the general circulation and nutrition of tissues. It is accompanied or followed by an increased interchange of substances between the blood and tissue metabolism.
- Massage stretches connective tissue, improves its circulation and nutrition and so breaks down and prevents the formation of adhesions and the danger of fibrosis and trigger points.
- Massage has also been linked to decreased stiffness and pain, as well as better range of motion in people with chronic osteoarthritis.
- Massage can promote healthy sleep. A number of studies have linked its effect on delta waves, the kind of brain waves connected to deep sleep.
- Shiatsu methods can be effective in treating trigger points.
- One study found that massage can improve PMS symptoms, like bloating and mood swings, for reasons noted above.
- In a 1996 Touch Research Institute study adults tested were more alert and completed a series of math questions faster and more accurately; so massage can improve your brain power.
Lesson today is to avail of this terrific concentrated Stress Massage at the SM Southmall branch of Mabuhay Chiropractic Clinic located in the Wellness E-xperience. If that is geographically challenging for you ask your regular massage therapist to spend additional time working on your hands and feet and to the one inch on both sides of the spine center. Be stress-less and be well!
Yours in Health,