Grace and ungrace don’t mix! How do you recognize the authentic gospel? It’s 100% good news. There is no bad news in the good news. There is no price tag on the gift, no hooks in His love, and no shadows in the light. The gospel proclaims that in union with Christ you are loved, forgiven, saved, accepted, holy, righteous, dead to sin, new and royal. The gospel is good news from start to finish.
Here is a summary of the ten facets of the gospel of grace.
- The gospel is not a solicitation to impress God with your love; it is the passionate declaration of your Father’s undying love for you.
- The gospel is not an appeal to engage in soul-searching and fault-finding; it is the emphatic declaration that you have been completely and eternally forgiven through the blood of the Lamb.
- The gospel is not merely a promise of a ticket to heaven; it is the power of God to bless you with His saving and abundant life, here and now.
- The gospel is not an advertising brochure for the treasures of the kingdom; it is the thrilling revelation that the Lover of your soul desires to share His life in an eternal relationship that starts now.
- The gospel is not an invitation to accept Jesus; it is the stunning announcement that He accepts you.
- The gospel is not a sign-up sheet for sanctification classes; it is the definitive announcement that in Christ you are holy indeed.
- The gospel is not a list of things you must do to inherit eternal life; it is the blessed announcement that the righteousness you need to enter the kingdom of heaven comes to us as a free gift through faith.
- The gospel is not a reform program for bad people; it is the liberating declaration of new life for those who have died and are born again.
- The gospel is not a half-baked hope that you can extend your old, broken life indefinitely; it is the joyful announcement that in Christ the old has gone and the new has come.
- The gospel is not a vague notion that you get to rule and reign after you die; it is the royal announcement that the reign of the King is within the reach of faith. The kingdom of God is at hand.
2000 years ago Jesus said: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor… Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” (Luke 4)
The adventure of living loved has just begun!
Excerpted closing words from “The Gospel in Ten Words” by Paul Ellis (www.EscapeToReality.org)
Yours in Real Faith,